Math is Cool
The MATHCOUNTS Competition Program
is a national middle school coaching and competitive mathematics program that promotes mathematics achievement through a series of fun and engaging "bee" style contests. The program exists in all 50 states plus U.S. territories and the Department of Defense and State Department schools.
The competition consists of up to 4 different rounds:
- The Sprint Round (40 minutes) consists of 30 problems
- The Target Rund (approx 30 minutes) consists of 8 problems presented in four pairs (6 min/pair)
- The Team Round (20 minutes) consists of 10 problems that team members work together to solve
- The Countdown Round is a fast-paced, oral competition for top-scoring individuals (based on scores in the Sprint and Target Rounds)
School/Chapter Competitions: February 15, 2013 at The Citadel
State Competitions: March 2, 2013 at The University of South Carolina
National Competition: May 10, 2013 in Washington, DC
The purpose of the Spelling Bee
is to help students improve their spelling, increase their vocabularies, learn concepts, and develop correct English usage that will help them all their lives. During the fall and winter, schools will conduct spelling bee programs at the classroom, grade, and/or school level, and send their spelling champions to the district level competition.District winners will represent Dorchester District Two in the Lowcounty competion. Those winners wil then compete at the state level which leads to the National Competition in Washington, DC during Bee Week 2013, May 26–June 1, 2013.
Each year thousands of schools in the United States participate in the National Geographic Bee
using materials prepared by the National Geographic Society. The contest is designed to encourage teachers to include geography in their classrooms, spark student interest in the subject, and increase public awareness about geography. Schools with students in grades four through eight are eligible for this entertaining and challenging test of geographic knowledge.
2013 National Geographic Bee Dates:
- School Bees: November 12, 2012–January 15, 2013
- State Bees: April 5, 2013
- National Level: May 20–22, 2013